We see a lot of brands putting out their 'points of view' and taking advantage of this time period as a way to reinforce who they are...or even reset that narrative as to who they want to be. The problem being -- A LOT OF BRANDS are currently active in this way. How can you attract attention, mindshare, and meaningful engagement given the depth of competition also looking to have similar discussions with the same (and sometimes limited) target audience?
Not surprisingly, KS&R believes that market research investment helps brands deliver their messages more authentically, more convincingly, and more effectively to build trust and ultimately yield more sales and satisfaction from current and prospective customers.
We have put together five quick guideposts to help ensure that you get the most from your thought leadership research investments -- and help you proactively own your narrative...
- Start with the "Answer" and Work Backwards: Hypothesis formation is critical. Clearly identifying what you want to prove / disprove allows for more precise questioning.
- Keep it Simple: The most complex questions and analytic techniques can be difficult to translate into provocative thought leadership material. Straightforward questions, direct scaling, and minimal modeling allow you to easily communicate results without a lot of explanation.
- Ensure Differentiation: Essential (even more so than with typical research) to avoid 'flat' responses; create questions that can easily bifurcate respondents and confirm / refute the hypothesis. Scan the market to make sure you are not replicating someone else's narrative.
- Don't Skimp on the Visuals: Survey questions should consider how results could be visually presented; determining the visual preference can impact how questions are constructed.
- Understand the Delivery Channel: Identify how you will share results at the outset of your research. Knowing how results are going to be shared will help dictate certain types of questions; video vs. social media vs. white papers vs. audio podcast all can accommodate unique question types for optimal impact and storytelling.
We wish you well in your thought leadership endeavors. Please use these guideposts to enhance your ability to connect with your target audience and elevate your brand conversations.